IMPORTANT! Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) health crisis events on our calendar may be canceled or postponed.

"Lighting the Path" Ida Freeman (1877 – 1957)

Collection: Publicly Owned
"Lighting the Path" Ida Freeman (1877 – 1957)

Sponsor: Edmond Visual Arts Commission partnered with Edmond Parks Foundation

From a one-room schoolhouse built shortly after the land run of 1889, followed by the territorial legislature’s placement of the state’s Normal School for the education of teachers, Edmond has grown to become a shining beacon of what is best in education. Ida Freeman represents the thousands who have dedicated their lives to teaching, administering and providing services within Edmond’s schools and universities. When Miss Freeman graduated from the Normal School in 1908, she’d already been teaching for a decade. Starting in a tiny rural school in 1898, Ida transferred to Edmond in 1905. Before retiring in 1941, Ida Freeman’s strict but loving methods had helped three generations of Edmondites become knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens, truly “Lighting the Path” for her students.

Donors
Curt and Janis Munson
Bob and Kathy Thomas
Edmond Visual Arts Commission
Dan and Pat O’Neil
The University of Central Oklahoma
Saundra and Frank Naifeh
Barry and Anghela Bryant
Wayne and Olene Cunningham
The Advisors at Raymond James
Bruce and Peggy Munson

 

Artist

Artist: Mary Lou Gresham

Contact information

    Email
/
    Website
/

   

  

Medium type: Bronze

Date created: 2018